If you’re on the internet searching for “braces near me,” you’re probably also wondering, “How long will I need to wear braces?”
Some dental questions have an easy answer: How long should you brush your teeth? Two minutes. How often should you floss? At least once a day. When it comes to how long you’ll need to wear braces, the answer isn’t so clear-cut.
The truth is…it depends. Everybody’s teeth are unique, and so each treatment time will vary person-by-person. Today, we’ll look at the different factors that affect how long someone will need to wear braces. Plus, we’ll offer some tips on how you can make the treatment process as speedy as possible.
Factors That Impact How Long You’ll Need Braces
How long you’ll need to wear braces will depend on the severity of the problems the dental practitioner is trying to fix. With that said, people tend to wear their braces for one to three years for comprehensive treatment.
No two smiles are the same, and some orthodontic treatments are easier than others. It can take as little as six months to fix a mild spacing issue or a crooked tooth. On the other hand, it can take as long as three years to fix complex bite or alignment issues.
Since everybody’s smile is unique, the length of time that a person needs to wear braces depends on a number of factors. Let’s take a look at the main factors that determine how long it takes for braces to create that perfect smile:
- The age of the patient
- How much room is available in your mouth
- The distance the teeth need to travel to reach our goal
- How your teeth are responding to the treatment
- The severity of the teeth misalignment or bite misalignment
- The health of the teeth, gums, and supporting bone
- How closely the patient follows the instructions
It’s important to note that there may be cases where braces will need to stay on longer if certain issues arise. Likewise, there are cases where patients finish their treatment earlier than expected. Like we mentioned earlier, it really all just depends on everyone’s individual needs and how your teeth are responding to the treatment.
How Long Will Children Need to Wear Braces?
On average, children can complete their braces treatment within fifteen to eighteen months. Again, this all depends on the severity of their dental problems.
How Long Will Adults Need to Wear Braces?
Adults are often in braces a bit longer than children. That’s because adult teeth require more pressure to move. Also, they might have to deal with pre-existing dental issues that weren’t corrected during their childhood.
Adult patients may have to wear braces from eighteen months to about three years. Remember, treatment time is based on each patient’s needs and varies on a case-by-case basis.
Can I Speed Up the Braces Treatment Time?
Nobody wants to wear their braces longer than they have to. However, there is a secret to completing your treatment as soon as possible: your cooperation!
Compliance isn’t often a problem with adult patients, but sometimes it’s hard to persuade kids to follow the rules.
By following your practitioner’s instructions and making a few lifestyle changes, you’ll make your treatment as smooth and efficient as possible—plus, you might even get to take your braces off earlier than expected.
Following these general dos and don’ts can have a significant impact on the length of your treatment.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice daily and floss after every meal to keep your mouth clean and healthy.
- Reach those tough spaces. Get an interdental brush (you can get one from your dentist or local pharmacy). These brushes are shaped like a tiny bottle brush and make it easy to clean between your wires and teeth.
- Stick to your appointments. When necessary, reschedule appointments as close to your original appointment date as possible. Missing appointments just means you’ll be wearing braces that much longer.
- Follow a braces-friendly diet. Avoid sugary, sticky, or hard foods—like popcorn, caramel, or taffy—that can damage your braces.
- See your practitioner ASAP if something breaks. Don’t delay making an appointment to repair breakages, as this could allow teeth to move back to their original positions and could delay your progress.
Smile Fort Worth: Where You Can Get Braces Near You
If you’re looking for braces near you, you’ll find expert help at Smile Fort Worth. Drs. Harlin, Wilkinson, and Collins have decades of combined experience creating lifelong, beautiful smiles with braces.
When you come in for your initial consultation, we’ll get to know you and your goals, create a plan tailored to your needs, and give you an estimate on how long you can expect your orthodontic treatment to last.
Schedule a complimentary consultation today to take the first step to a straighter smile.
Contact Smile Fort Worth
If it’s been more than six months since your last appointment, schedule an appointment with Smile Fort Worth today.